There’s a good chance that the windows you have seen in the house of your dreams on programmes such as Grand Designs and Building the Dream will be aluminium windows. Aluminium windows have become a much more popular option for Sussex homes, with homeowners looking to get the most out of their property.
Aluminium is called the ‘green metal’ as it is 100% recyclable, robust, durable and also adds value to any property, traditional, contemporary or country. The strength of aluminium allows for larger expanses of glass and slimmer frames, which helps bathe homes in natural light. With an average lifespan of up to 45 years, aluminium windows are also a long-lasting and enduring choice for your home, but it’s still important to regularly look after your windows to keep them clean and ensure smooth operation during their lifetime. So, we’ve put together this helpful guide to show you how to clean your aluminium window frames.
How often should I clean my aluminium windows?
We recommend cleaning your windows every three months, sometimes more. If you live in an area which may suffer from greater levels of air pollution, such as near a motorway, airport or near a railway, you will probably want to do this more often to keep them looking fresh all year round. Those living in coastal areas, such as Worthing, Eastbourne or Hastings may also find out that their windows require more frequent cleaning. However, our aluminium windows are also available with a marine grade coating, perfect for those living in these areas.
Our step-by-step guide on how to clean aluminium window frames
Follow these simple steps to help keep your aluminium windows clean.
- Firstly, get everything ready. You will need a sponge or microfibre cloth, a mild detergent, a bucket, water, some glass spray and a soft cloth to wipe down afterwards.
- Then, mix your detergent with warm water in the bucket.
- Using the sponge or microfibre cloth, wipe down the frames, starting at the top and working your way down to prevent you spreading dirt over the areas you have already cleaned.
- Don’t forget to clean in the hard-to-reach places, make sure you remove a build-up of debris as this can cause problems with water drainage.
- Once you’ve cleaned the entire window, use a soft cloth to dry the frame.
- Now it’s time for the glass. Don’t forget to clean your glass both internally and externally. Spray your glass the spray and use the multipurpose cloth to wipe the glass from left to right, top to bottom. Then, finish off with a squeegee to remove any streak marks.
Things to avoid when cleaning your aluminium window frames
It’s also important to avoid certain things to prevent damaging your aluminium windows.
- Do not use harsh chemicals or abrasive cleaners
- Do not use scrubbing brushes, sharp objects, or abrasive pads
- Do not use power washers
Aluminium windows are made to withstand all kinds of weather conditions, sun, wind, rain, snow and ice, so it’s important to set up a regular cleaning schedule to ensure you not only have beautiful aluminium windows for many years to come, but they operate smoothly and do not jam or stick.
If you need further advice on how to maintain aluminium windows, call us today on 01273 287 287, or visit our contact page to request a callback.